As MLAs of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha-led coalition return to Ranchi from Hyderabad, all eyes are now on the field test in the Jharkhand assembly, scheduled to begin at 11 am on Monday.
Champai Soren, who took oath as chief minister after Hemant Soren’s arrest, will prove his majority in the Assembly. Former Prime Minister Hemant Soren will be released from jail to participate in the voting process.
Ground test in Jharkhand: tourism policy and JMM Congress strong
1. The Jharkhand Assembly has 81 seats and the majority is 41. The JMM coalition has a comfortable majority with 48 MLAs: JMM 29, Congress 17, RJD and CPI (ML), one each. However, not all MLAs can participate in the floor test. The NDA has 29 MLAs, including 26 seats from the BJP and 3 from the AJSU. The remaining 3 are independent and others.
2. When Hemant Soren was arrested on January 31 by the ED in an alleged land scam, Champai Soren went to the governor demanding the support of 43 MLAs. Some MLAs did not sign the letter of support but are with the coalition, the JMM said.
|Jharkhand Mukti Morcha
3. The coalition MLAs were flown to Hyderabad to thwart any attempt by the BJP to poach them. They spent the weekend at Leonia Resort under tight security, where no strangers or other resort guests could access them.
4. The Congress, the junior partner in the coalition government, borne the expenses of the MLAs’ stay at the resort.
5. When Champai Soren meets Hemant Soren in the Assembly on Monday, the issue of inducting at least one MP from Hemant’s family into the cabinet will be discussed. Hemant Soren’s brother Basant Soren is likely to become minister.
6. In 2022, Hemant Soren, as chief minister, faced a confidence vote in the assembly and won it with the votes of 48 MPs.
7. While all is well in the JMM coalition, one dissenting voice is Lobin Hembrom, a senior JMM leader and critic of Hemant Soren. Lobin said there was no need to shift the MLAs to such a luxurious complex at a time when most people in Jharkhand are struggling to make ends meet.
8. The JMM leadership, however, said Hembrom will vote for the coalition government in the parliamentary test.
9. While Hemant Soren will participate in the test, the Jharkhand high court is scheduled to hear Hemant Soren’s petition against ED’s arrest. The Supreme Court did not hear the matter and asked Hemant to approach the high court.
10. The ED arrested Jharkhand tax department official Bhanu Pratap in connection with Hemant Soren. Bhanu Pratap was already in prison for another land scam.