Acharya Pramod Krishnam, who recently praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the Ayodhya Ram temple consecration ceremony and criticized the Congress for missing the event, has been banned for six years by the Mallikarjun Kharge-led party.
According to the Congress, Acharya Pramod Krishnam was expelled on Saturday for “indiscipline” and for making repeated statements against the party.
Who is Acharya Pramod Krishnam?
- Acharya Pramod Krishnam had contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections in Lucknow as a Congress candidate, but lost. He, however, got an impressive 1.8 lakh votes.
- In 2014, Acharya Pramod had unsuccessfully contested the Lok Sabha elections from UP’s Sambhal.
Also read: INDIA block no more, Nitish Kumar performed last rites, says Acharya Pramod
- Acharya Pramod was earlier part of the Uttar Pradesh Congress advisory council, formed to help Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in her UP role in charge of the party.
- The Indian Express reported that one of the reasons for Acharya Pramod’s sulking could be the Samajwadi Party’s decision to declare candidates for both Sambhal and Lucknow, which it has been eyeing.
Why did Congress expel Acharya Pramod Krishnam?
- While the Congress did not specifically mention the events for which he was expelled, Acharya Pramod was in Lucknow earlier this week to invite Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to the Kalkidham foundation laying program in UP’s Sambhal district on 19 February. He also met Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who will lay the foundation stone there that day.
- “The Hon’ble Congress President has approved the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee’s proposal to expel Pramod Krishnam from the party for six years in view of his repeated anti-party statements and complaints of indiscipline,” the Committee’s general secretary said in a press release. of All India Congress, KC Venugopal. statement.
- While Acharya Pramod maintained that his visits to Modi and Defense Minister Rajnath Singh were simply to invite them to the inauguration of Kalki Dham, Congress workers were reportedly troubled by his remarks praising the Prime Minister for the construction of the Temple. Ram while criticizing the Congress for not accepting the invitation for consecration.