A 29-year-old chef died in Michigan after battling a rare fungal disease. Ian Pritchard contracted blastomycosis, a fungal disease, sometime before Thanksgiving last year, he reported. New York Post. The disease wore down her respiratory system and ultimately devastated her lungs, the report said.
TO GoFundMe page He also raised about $20,000 for his family.
Pritchard, who was hospitalized last December, died Sunday after “the blastomycosis fungal infection devastated Ian’s lungs beyond repair,” according to the report.
In a conversation with up north live, His father, Ron Pritchard, said: “They showed us a picture of his lungs and they literally looked like Swiss cheese.”
Ian Pritchard was initially admitted to a hospital in Petoskey, Michigan. However, his condition rapidly deteriorated and he was transferred to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.
The report added that people contract the disease by breathing spores of the fungus blastomyces, which resides in moist soil, decaying wood and leaves found in the Midwest and South.
Speaking about how his son contracted the disease, Ron Pritchard said: “It’s in the air, in the trees, in the wet leaves, in the ground, in the mud, everywhere. “All of northern Michigan (in fact, the Midwest) is covered in (Blastomyces).”
She added that the best scenario for her son was a lung transplant, but according to doctors that was only possible after the infection disappeared.
The report says the infection typically develops between 2 and 15 weeks. In half of patients, their symptoms include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and muscle aches. The disease has no cure, but it is treated with antifungal medications such as itraconazole, he said.