Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said those trying to tell him to reconsider his decision to enter Rafah were helping Hamas after international calls about military operations in the city. Israel, no matter what, will get the remaining Hamas battalions in Rafah, he said in an interview.
Benjamin Netanyahu said: “Those who say that under no circumstances should we enter Rafah are saying: lose the war and keep Hamas there. “We are going to take the remaining Hamas terrorist battalions to Rafah, but we are going to do it, and I agree with the Americans on this, while providing safe passage for the civilian population to leave.”
“Victory is within our reach,” he said, criticizing calls for Israel to avoid carrying out a military offensive inside Rafah.
“It’s part of our war effort to get civilians out of danger; it’s part of Hamas’ effort to keep them in danger,” he said.
What is happening in Rafah in the midst of the Hamas war?
Nearly a million Palestinians have fled to Rafah, Gaza’s southernmost city, amid the conflict that began on October 7 last year. Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the military to plan the evacuation of Rafah, his office said, ahead of an anticipated ground offensive. Rafah is currently home to more than 1.3 million people, most of whom live there amid the war, according to the United Nations.
Israel’s war in Gaza has killed a total of 28,176 Palestinians and injured 67,784 since October 7, Gaza’s Health Ministry said.
What have world leaders said about Israel’s plans in Rafah?
German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock wrote on the social media platform
Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Ministry warned of “the very serious repercussions of the attack and attack” on Rafah and called for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council. UK Foreign Secretary David Cameron said he is “deeply concerned” that “the priority must be an immediate pause in the fighting to get help in and the hostages out.”