The Israeli military announced early Monday that two hostages taken by Hamas during its October 7 attacks were rescued in an overnight operation in the southern Gaza city of Rafah.
The army said in a statement that “during a joint operation by the IDF (military), ISA (Shin Bet security agency) and the Israel Police in Rafah, overnight, two Israeli hostages were rescued, Fernando Simon Marman (60 ) and Louis Har (70), who were kidnapped by the terrorist organization Hamas on October 7 at Kibbutz Nir Yitzhak.”
“Both are in good medical condition and were taken for a medical examination to Sheba Tel Hashomer Hospital,” the statement added.
During the October 7 attacks, Palestinian militants took around 250 hostages, according to an AFP count based on official Israeli figures. Israel says around 130 remain in Gaza, but 29 are believed dead.
Israel responded to the attacks with a relentless offensive in Gaza, which the territory’s Health Ministry says has killed at least 28,176 people, mostly women and children.
Dozens of captives taken on Oct. 7 were freed during a week-long truce in November that also saw the release of more than 200 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.
New talks for a pause in fighting have been held in Cairo, and Hamas is open to a new ceasefire, including more prisoner and hostage exchanges.
Hamas’s military wing claimed on Sunday that two hostages had been killed and eight others seriously wounded in Israeli bombing in recent days, a claim AFP could not independently verify.
Netanyahu has faced calls for early elections and growing protests over his administration’s failure to bring the hostages home.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated channel.)